The Chimborazo is the highest mountain in the Ecuadorian Andes and due to its proximity to the equator, it is also the farthest point from the center of the Earth. Climbing the Chimborazo is a challenge, even for the most experienced mountaineer. Technically it is a moderate to tough climb. In addition to good acclimatization, climbing experience and excellent physical condition are required to bridge the 1,300 meter difference in height between the Whymper Refuge and the summit. The mountain itself has five peaks, in this climb the Veintimilla peak is reached (at 6 227m) and if the conditions are good and the climbers are experienced, we also reach the Whymper peak which is at 6 263m.
Includes: Professional bilingual mountain guide (maximum 2 persons per guide), transfers between the hotel and the mountain,
Overnight in the refuge
does not apply
* All hotel nights with breakfast, transfers, domestic flights and excursions as mentioned in the program.
* Lunch and dinner in accordance with the program if stated.
Drankjes, fooien en uitgaven van persoonlijke aard.
* De internationale vluchten van en naar Ecuador.
* Reis – of annuleringsverzekering.
To the refuge of the Chimborazo
We leave in the morning towards Chimborazo National Park where we drive to the Carrel refuge which is at an altitude of 4 850m. We will spend the rest of the afternoon in the refuge to acclimatize and to receive information from the guide about the route we will follow and some more safety instructions. After dinner we go to bed early to make us ready at 22:30 to leave for the summit.
From the shelter to the top and back
The first part of the climb is a mix of boulders, stones, snow and ice surfaces. Around 5 350m height we reach a part called El Castillo, which is a large rock formation. From here follow a few hours of climbing in a glacier area. After about 7 to 8 hours of walking we reach the Veintimilla peak. If the weather conditions allow it and there is still time and energy left, we can still go to the Whymper peak, which is about one hour further. Then the descent begins, which takes about four hours.
All transfers are done with private car and Spanish-speaking driver unless otherwise stated
* Mentioned trips and excursions are examples from a wider range. Check out our website for more options.
* This travel proposal is based on 2-person standard rooms, unless stated otherwise. Surcharges for single rooms or luxury
rooms are on request.
* This travel proposal is without obligation, depending on the travel period and subject to availability.
* In the final travel program, certain fixed days of activities must be taken into account, such as ineemse
markets, departure dates of cruises and flights, etc. We do everything possible to optimize the activities mentioned in the program
stuur ons een mail of bel ons