The Cotopaxi (quechua for “the neck of the moon”) is the most popular mountain in South America and is located in the national park of the same name. The mountain is characterized by quite stable weather conditions, making it accessible all year round. The summit is famous for its perfect cone shape, from where you have a beautiful view of the crater. It has a diameter of 800 m. The climb is considered technical, because equipment is needed on the ice and because of its high altitude. Normally you do the climb in two days, but you also have the option to get used to the altitude for another day in the national park. Includes: Professional bilingual mountain guide (maximum 2 persons per guide), transfers between the hotel and the mountain, overnight in the refuge, lunch on day 1, dinner and breakfast in the refuge, climbing equipment (see below).
Overnight in the refuge
does not apply
* All hotel nights with breakfast, transfers, domestic flights and excursions as mentioned in the program.
* Lunch and dinner in accordance with the program if stated.
Drinks, tips and expenses of a personal nature.
* International flights to and from Ecuador.
* Travel or cancellation insurance.
This is an example trip. You can adapt the order of the trip and the choice of hotels and excursions to your wishes. For example, you can combine this trip with another example trip or a subsequent cruise to the Galapagos Islands. The extensive range of hotels, excursions and cruises can be found elsewhere on this website.
Cotopaxi day 1: to refuge Cotopaxi
You will be picked up by the driver and the guides and leave by car for the National Park. At 12:00 we reach the car park at 4600 meters and start a steep climb of an hour to the “Jose Rivas” refuge at 4800 meters where we have an energizing meal. Before dinner, the climb is prepared and there is some practice on the glacier. We go to sleep for a few hours after dinner: the climb to the top starts in the early hours.
Climb Cotopaxi day 2: from refuge to the top and back
At 01:00, when the snow is still hard and accessible, we leave for the top. Depending on the weather and physical condition, the climb to the top takes 6 to 7 hours. We reach the top at dawn and here we have a beautiful view over the crater of the Cotopaxi and the surrounding volcanoes. We enjoy the view for a while and then the descent to the refuge begins, which takes about three hours. We are back in the refuge around 10 am and we leave for the hotel.
All transfers are done by private car and Spanish-speaking driver unless otherwise stated
* Mentioned trips and excursions are examples from a wider range. Check out our website for more options.
* This travel proposal is based on 2-person standard rooms, unless stated otherwise. Surcharges for single rooms or luxury
rooms are on request.
* This travel proposal is without obligation, depending on the travel period and subject to availability.
* In the final travel program, certain fixed days of activities must be taken into account, such as ineemse
markets, departure dates of cruises and flights, etc. We do everything possible to optimize the activities mentioned in the program
stuur ons een mail of bel ons