The Illiniza South is the sixth highest mountain in the country. It is located 55 km southwest of Quito. The peak consists of melting glaciers and is reserved for experienced ice climbers. You must have a lot of experience on ice to climb this mountain. The climb starts at night in the refuge Nuevos Horizontes at an altitude of 4670 meters.
Includes: Professional bilingual mountain guide (maximum 2 persons per guide), transfers between the hotel and the mountain, overnight in the refuge, lunch on day 1, dinner and breakfast in the camping site, climbing equipment (see below).
* All hotel nights with breakfast, transfers, domestic flights and excursions as mentioned in the program.
* Lunch and dinner in accordance with the program if stated.
Drinks, tips and expenses of a personal nature.
* International flights to and from Ecuador.
* Travel or cancellation insurance.
To the refuge of the Ilinizas
In the late morning we drive up to the foot of the Illinizas, to a place called La Virgen. Here we start a hike of 3 hours, up to the Refuge Nuevos Horizontes which is located at an altitude of 4 650m. During this tour you will have to carry your own backpack and climbing equipment. In the refuge we do a material check and receive instructions and exercises in preparation for the climb. After dinner we go to bed.
From the shelter to the top and back
We leave for the top around 3 am. After about 45 minutes we reach the glacier and the rest of the climb will take about four hours. The route to the top is a mix of rock and ice peaks that requires a lot of technical experience, as well as a good portion of endurance. The peak is reached around sunrise and after that the descent to the refuge begins. From the refuge we walk back to La Virgen and on the way back home we eat in a restaurant to recover.
All transfers are done by private car and Spanish-speaking driver unless otherwise stated
* Mentioned trips and excursions are examples from a wider range. Check out our website for more options.
* This travel proposal is based on 2-person standard rooms, unless stated otherwise. Surcharges for single rooms or luxury
rooms are on request.
* This travel proposal is without obligation, depending on the travel period and subject to availability.
* In the final travel program, certain fixed days of activities must be taken into account, such as ineemse
markets, departure dates of cruises and flights, etc. We do everything possible to optimize the activities mentioned in the program